The Reviewer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reviewer

Built for everyone to post reviews. Real People, real reviews

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Tide by Del Stone Jr.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Black Tide by Del Stone Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Black Tide by Del Stone Jr.   Black Tide by Del Stone Jr. Icon_minitime29th July 2007, 2:23 am

Black Tide
Telos Original
(c) 2007, Del Stone Jr.
120pp A5 original paperback novella.

ISBN 978-1-84583-049-6 (pb)

Paperback
- £7.99

I've had the pleasure to read Del's work before, and I have experienced first hand his attention to detail (via editing), so when I discovered (via is blog at myspace) his story Black Tide had been accepted by Telos in the UK, I was not surprised. Heck, the film rights had been sold earlier than the print rights. What does surprise me is why he went to the UK?

But he did and when Black Tide was released I ordered a copy. Unfortunately it took several weeks for the book to reach the disrtubtion channel my supplier used. But it did arrive and I devoured it in 2 days.

Black Tide is a well thought out story and runs smoothly. It is the story of a Uni Professor who takes a favored student on a weekend get away under the guise of studying the effects of pollution on flora and fauna. What he really wants to be alone with her, so hopefully...

Unfortunately, she brought along her boyfriend, Scotty, who is arrogant, young and believes he is invincible like most youth these days. He knows why the professor wanted Heather (the Uni Student) alone on a small island. He can see it as plan as day and so from the get-go he opposes Fred (the professor) until they finally reach a final confrontation.

Fred lacks a lot of self belief or has a low self image and all he can latch onto is his knowledge of their study subject. Heather is the first to notice it, the mist, the cloud heading to the city. Then covering the city. Then the screams.

This is a zombie story, with a difference. These zombies are light sensitive and even a torch light can set them ablaze, as our three survivors soon discover.

They have no choice but to get off the island. The channel is only 500 meters away on the other side of the island and the mainland is a mile away and the nearest shoreline is a quarter of a mile away. Swimable distance despite the dead fish and other carcasses floating belly up.

Only Fred is not fit enough to swim that far, Heather can't swim at all. So, Scotty decided he'll do it. He'll swim across, get a boat and come pick them up.

The thing is the zombies stay under the water to hide from the light or hide in dark places. Can he make it across safely? What about the dark foliage bordering the shoreline?

How can a professor struggling to understand the events around him hope to find an answer to their plight if, God forbid, Scotty fails?

Which he does.
And the story kicks into high gear -- if that is possible. The story is moving at a fast click already. Del's writing style is smooth and clear to understand, and you'll fly through his book.

The $30 it cost me to get a copy was well worth it. I look forward to seeing the movie as well.

It's a guaranteed "Good Read".

Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net

Black Tide by Del Stone Jr.
Page 1 of 1