The Reviewer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reviewer

Built for everyone to post reviews. Real People, real reviews

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stormbreaker

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Rim Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Stormbreaker Empty
PostSubject: Stormbreaker   Stormbreaker Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 3:36 am

Stormbreaker is the first film from Anthony Howowitz's successful Alex Rider novel series for Young Adults, think Cody Banks, Johnny English and James Bond.

It's a spy film for teens and kids and though it's well crafted, we've seen it all before. There has been a lot of criticism levelled at the film, which this reviewer believes is a little harsh. There are some fine performances, including the lead, Alex Pettyfey who was chosen over five hundred others. Alicia Silverstone, Stephen Fry and Mickey Rourke also do an adequate job, but it's the veteran Bill Nighy who turns in the most entertaining role as Alex's boss.

When his uncle Ian dies, it's discovered that he was actually a spy and that the torch has been passed to Alex, whether he is really ready for it or not.

There are several twists and turns as well as some impressive action scenes, but a lot of it is stagy and a little contrived, particularly the character of Nadia Vole who is just plain silly.

There is little suspense and much is predictable. It really doesn’t differ enough from similar teen fair which is a shame as Howowitz's books predate the other films it so closely resembles. However he wrote the script himself and only has himself to blame. I would have liked to see the series develop, however with only half of its 40 million dollar budget recouped in its worldwide theatrical release, it appears unlikely. It's DVD life will determine its ultimate future.

However there's enough for kids to enjoy and in the end, that's really who it's aimed at.

Neutral

Reviewed by Anthony Langford
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Stormbreaker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormbreaker   Stormbreaker Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 8:34 pm

I saw that movie and didn't think much of it as well. There was a lot of promotion and radio hosts saying how good the movie was (though I doubt they saw it).

I was a little unimpressed with Alex Rider already being home-trained and the martial arts he preforms with the rope previously done by Jackie Chang many years ago.

I think teens would enjoy it but teen movies also need to focus on the parents of these teens (in a movie world) like Disney has done.

And Alicia Silverstone is reason enough to watch a movie, Jennifer Connelly as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net
The Rim Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Stormbreaker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormbreaker   Stormbreaker Icon_minitime12th February 2007, 5:06 am

Yeah, I've seen those Asian movies with the rope tricks. Found it very unconvicing that scene.. but as you said, alicia... though I noticed they did their best to cover her up! as in place objects infront of her in wide shots - actor vanity? hmmm
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Stormbreaker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormbreaker   Stormbreaker Icon_minitime12th February 2007, 7:28 am

I think that was because it was a teenager flick.
but still............
Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net
Sponsored content

Stormbreaker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormbreaker   Stormbreaker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stormbreaker
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer :: DVD/Movie Reviews :: DVD and Video reviews-
Jump to: