The Reviewer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reviewer

Built for everyone to post reviews. Real People, real reviews

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Babel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Rim Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 12:34 am

A tourist in Morocco. A wedding in Mexico. A deaf girl in Japan.

A world once divided, now all are connected. The world is diminishing whether we like it or not and our population is expanding. Yet so much is misunderstood. How hard is it to reach out to one another?

Alejandro González Iñárritu explores these issues of cross cultural understanding, or rather the lack of it, in his new disjointed form of storytelling in Babel, the third of his multi layered fractured, partial Mexican fables begun with Amores Perros (Love’s a bitch) and 21 Grams.

The most obvious, but not limited to only, thread that carries through this film is the notion that tragic consequences can arise from a simple, but ignorant decision.

Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are the American tourists on holiday in Morocco when an unfortunate incident befalls them and sets a series of lethal events in motion.

Gael García Bernal (The Motorcycle Diaries) takes his Aunt from the U.S. to her sons wedding in Mexico, but rushed judgments will have a huge detrimental cost.

However it is Rinko Kikuchi who plays the deaf mute Chieko, who delivers the most surprising performance, deserving her Oscar nomination. Many have argued over the relevance of this most dubious piece of the three stories but they have missed the point. Reaching out for understanding is the underlying feeling to the entire film and nowhere is it more evident than in this section. It is all Chieko seeks.

Alejandro González Iñárritu isn’t interested in spelling it all out for the audience. He hopes they will argue it out afterwards while he gets on with the task of making films that are intelligent with substance and that
are relevant to the world we live in, especially at this juncture in time when we need to understand one another.
The title comes from Genesis. After The Great Flood, the people from the Ark attempted to build a city and a tower whose top might reach Heaven, the Tower of Babel. But God was angry with the idea and made each person speak a different language which halted the plan and scattered the disconnected people across the earth.

Alejandro is also a master of the edit. Not only does he love playing with structure, but his scenes have a superb rhythm and a certain style that can be hard hitting and yet introspective when he wants it to be. He is an artist, creating different moods within his tapestry while contemplating the overall work. The soothing music of Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain) goes a long way to help convey the atmosphere.
The two work together magnificently.

Like the aforementioned films, Babel has a hand held style of camerawork, with many close-ups of his wonderful cast whom he manages to draw exceptional performances from. Brad Pitt is not afraid to let the greys show and he hints at a varied range to come but it is his younger stars that draw the most emotion; the American children and their Moroccan counterparts.

Alejandro doesn’t pull any punches but no matter what your politic, this is one bout you will not want to miss.
One of the year’s best.

Reviewed by Anthony Langford
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 12:42 am

I'd love to see this movie, but my wife has her heart set on Stranger than Fiction this Friday night.

Hey, thanks for the post. Glad the problems from yesterday vanished.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net
The Rim Rider

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 1:09 am

Cool - ive got more if you want - would you like me to put yr website on myspace?
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime8th February 2007, 2:33 am

Sure thing, post away.

The more people who know about this place the better.

many thanks
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 9:28 am

I saw this movie a couple of hours ago.
I hated it. It was slow, boring and I couldn't stop looking at my watch.

On the other hand, my wife totally loved this movie.

I must have missed the point. The one scene I did enjoy was showing the US tourist in the small town and the fear they felt being exposed in such a location.

I don't understand why Pitt wanted they to stay.
Back to top Go down
The Rim Rider

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 9:58 pm

That's a shame Lee. Well my opinion is above, but Im also picking it for best picture at oscars. i agree though, not to everyones taste. & yeah, brad pitt should have let it go, but he was an insular american, freaking out. the fear had gripped him. he would have been fine. its about misunderstanding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Babel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babel   Babel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Babel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer :: DVD/Movie Reviews :: A night at the movies :: Movie Reviews-
Jump to: