The Reviewer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reviewer

Built for everyone to post reviews. Real People, real reviews

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pans Labyrinth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Rim Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Pans Labyrinth Empty
PostSubject: Pans Labyrinth   Pans Labyrinth Icon_minitime13th February 2007, 9:21 pm

Guillermo del Toro returns with another historical based fantasy epic building upon similar territory explored in Hellboy. More on that soon.

The story follows young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) as she travels with her pregnant Mother to meet up with Carmen’s new stepfather, the nasty ‘Capitan’ (Sergi Lopez). It’s 1944 and the war is coming to a close. Spain’s fascist government is in power and it’s the Capitan’s role to clear up the last remnants of the resistance from the mountains. He soon proves he’s more than up for the job.

Ofelia on the other hand, instantly dislikes him and for good reason. She’s more interested in the woods and stumbles upon a strange stone labyrinth and thus begins her supernatural adventures.

I would imagine that if a film was to be made of fascist Spain at the close of World War II, it wouldn’t attract as much attention as it does now after del Toro has thrown his fantasy elements into the mix. It all sounds a bit light and good natured, but don’t be misled. This ain’t no kid flick. It’s violent, cruel, tense, shocking, bewildering and times touching, but at no point does del Toro let you rest. The suspense and tension is wound as tightly as one of del Toro’s clocks. (More on that soon too.)

As always, he’s interested in story first and that’s why his other effects heavy films (Hellboy, Blade II, Mimic, & Cronos) were so successful. There are also design similarities between this film and the others. The home of Pan, for example, very closely resembles the chamber where Rasputin is brought back to life in Hellboy. The pocket watch also features in Pan as do similar devices in Hellboy and Cronos. Blades and people being sliced up by them also head up the del Toro shopping list. I’m not sure what all this means, but it’s almost certain that we haven’t seen the last of these signature items.

Doug Jones, a del Toro regular, returns as Pan and Pale Man, but it is the wistful innocence of our heroine Ofelia, who captures the heart. I had an emotional investment in her and the other characters, in spite of myself. This is a powerful and engaging film with one of the most vicious screen villains we’ve witnessed in some time. You’ll be screaming for his demise.

After shooting the Hellboy sequel this year, del Toro hopes to make 3993, another historical Spanish film with supernatural overtones, this time set in the Civil War. It’s clear he hasn’t rid of all of his demons just yet. Stunning.

93%
Back to top Go down
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Pans Labyrinth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pans Labyrinth   Pans Labyrinth Icon_minitime12th April 2007, 10:15 pm

Now, I am going to watch that!

Was waiting for the hype to die down.
Now this review has made me want to see it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net
Retsej

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Pans Labyrinth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pans Labyrinth   Pans Labyrinth Icon_minitime2nd May 2007, 5:48 pm

I thought it was great. I took my wife opening weekend to see it. She dreaded it, then really sighed when she saw the sub-titles. By the end, she told me she would actually go back to see it & we had to get it when it comes out on DVD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.retsej.com
Sponsored content

Pans Labyrinth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pans Labyrinth   Pans Labyrinth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pans Labyrinth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer :: DVD/Movie Reviews :: A night at the movies :: Movie Reviews-
Jump to: