The Reviewer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reviewer

Built for everyone to post reviews. Real People, real reviews

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blood Diamond

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lee_Pletzers
Admin
Lee_Pletzers

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Blood Diamond Empty
PostSubject: Blood Diamond   Blood Diamond Icon_minitime28th April 2007, 10:25 am

Blood Diamond 200px-BDPoster

I finally got to see this movie today and I must say, it's pretty average. There are some awesome action scenes and Leonardo carries himself very well (as usual), Jennifer Connelly did a fine job as well, but I think she could've done better, I didn't get any emotion coming from her, she was almost robot like. An actress going through the paces. It wasn't until her final scene where she started to shine.

This is the story is about a large diamond (roughly 100 karat) found by Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou -- you may remember him from The Island) a family man from a small village attacked by a band of rebles and forced into slavery to dig for the stones and a smuggler who wants to steal it, but in the process ends up reuniting a family torn apart by rebel forces. And a reporter who wants to 'to do' something to stop the illegal trade of Blood Diamonds.

The real power of this film rest with the son, Dia Vandy (Kagiso Kuypers) who is taken from his family in another attack. Put in with a group of 5 other kids and brainwashed by violence and forced to kill, until killing becomes accepted part of his life.

Solomon searches for his family with Danny Archer (DiCaprio) tagging along with his plan to steal the diamond, but only Solomon knows where it is buried.

DiCaprio shines when (after hiding from a band of rebels when Solomon first sees his son) he explains about hunting in the bush with his childhood friend and how they caught (a monkey? Orangutan? Can't remember) by following the smell of its shit. He then explains how they get at the meat. If Solomon ever puts him in that kind of danger ever again, he would skin his face.

Solomon Vandy: Dia, What are you doing? Dia! Look at me, look at me. What are you doing? You are Dia Vendy, of the proud Mende tribe. You are a good boy who loves soccer and school. Your mother loves you so much. She waits by the fire making plantains, and red palm oil stew with your sister N'Yanda and the new baby. The cows wait for you. And Babu, the wild dog who minds no one but you. I know they made you do bad things, but you are not a bad boy. I am your father who loves you. And you will come home with me and be my son again.

87%

Back to top Go down
http://www.leepletzers.net

Blood Diamond
Page 1 of 1